Saturday, December 29, 2007

Backup hell...

I have just about filled up my 500GB external drive. Take that and the fact because of my current problems I have moved my main working archive onto that same external means that I do not have the hard drive space to have a duplicate copy of everything. Yesterday I TRIED to move things around and consolidate but it quickly became clear that any further efforts in that vein would most likely end up with a significant amount of images that would be lost forever. So I bit the bullet and bought ANOTHER external firewire drive but this time a 750GB. So, let's see if I can remember this correctly. I now have:

  • Western Digital My Book 750GB (FW)
  • Western Digital My Book 500GB (FW)
  • Lacie 250GB (FW)
  • Western Digital Media 160GB (FW)
  • Generic 250GB (USB)
  • Western Digital Passport 160GB (USB)

    So for that past, hmm 7 hours, my system has been diligently copying all the files from the 500GB drive to the 750GB drive. I am HOPING that the reason for the slow down is that I am sending files from one firewire drive to another. I would have HOPED that it would have went fast but alas it didn't. I'm telling you digital asset management is a MAJOR pain. Trying to protect your files and secure your data is a daunting task. I am not really sure what the correct solution should. Once I get the initial copy of the data on the new drive incremental updates will be much more manageable. The problem is with this initial load. Anyway it should complete soon and I am calling it a night!
  • 2 Comments:

    At Saturday, 29 December, 2007, Blogger Donna Rae said...

    Yikes - are you keeping ALL your shots (even the not so good ones)?

     
    At Thursday, 03 January, 2008, Blogger Brad said...

    I agree with keeping them all (the only ones I cull are the ones so dark that there is nothing visible in them). But that can be alot...

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home