Sunday, May 14, 2006

Camping Trip

Well, we decided to take an extended camping trip back to Red Rock Canyon. We figured since we didn't stay that long when we went last time, and that since this would be the last time we could with the weather heating up, that we would make a complete weekend out of it. All in all it was a pretty good trip and we had a nice time. The weather was pretty darn hot but the awning worked REALLY well (until the wind started blowing) and the generator ran the A/C very nicely too. As soon as the sun started going down it cooled off and we just slept with the windows open. We did manage to fill up our grey tank and use all of our fresh water - but there is more to that story...

The funny part about this is that I experienced a few things that Pat (a buddy from work - project from hell) had told me about. The first one was I forgot to prime the water lines before we left. So when we got there and setup the water pump was just running like there was no tomorrow. Fortunately I remembered what he said about cracking open one of the drain lines. That did the trick and got everything working pretty good. The other thing - which really sucked - was driving off with the step down. Well we hit something and it really messed up the step. We were able to kick it back together to store it but under closer inspection back at home it is completely tweaked. Now when you step on the bottom step it gives way and drops another inch. I will probably just buy a replacement step and hope that I can get it installed in the same place. I could take it off and try to beat it back into shape but I don't have the sledge hammer to make the "fine adjustments".

Okay, back to the water... Devin really wanted to light a fire and on Saturday after we came back from our trip into Ridgecrest we went to work lighting up a fire. Devin and I got a really good fire going rather quickly and after about an hour the wind really started to pick up. At one point when we saw burning embers all over the place we decided it was time to kill the fire. I ran the outside faucet and drenched the fire with water (our fresh water). I soaked it pretty good and we were fireless... At least until the middle of the night when the wind kicked back up, dried off the wood, and start it burning again. At one point I woke up thinking someone was outside with a flashlight. It was the fire burning pretty darn good and by morning about 90% of the wood was gone. Denise decided to try and start it back up and within a few minutes we had a good fire going again. Since the weather wasn't too bad (windy) we went ahead and made breakfast over the fire.

I didn't take too many pictures but I did have in mind to try and capture some different scenes from the canyon. On Saturday just after the sun crested the cliffs and went out to try to get some neat shots and good angles. I am TRYING to post the pictures to smugmug but for some reason most of them won't load. I will try to fix that but for now here is what I have. If there are only 2 photos then I haven't fixed it.

All in all it was a good trip and we had fun. I am not really happy about the step, but it could have been a lot worse and we could have caused structural damage to the trailer so we got off lucky on that one.


At Monday, 15 May, 2006, Blogger Donna Rae said...

I REALLY like that picture! Sorry about the step, but you are correct in being grateful it was not worse.

At Tuesday, 16 May, 2006, Blogger Jane said...

I love the picture at the top of this post! The colors of her clothes really are a nice contrast to her surroundings. You really take some great photos!


Post a Comment

<< Home