Friday, September 11, 2009

Just another Friday???

So, there was a rumor/chance that the Space Shuttle Discovery would land at Edwards Air Force Base (where I work) and I just happened (for some unrelated reason) to bring my camera bag with me today. Originally, if the shuttle was going to land, it was going to be Saturday so I didn't think there was any chance of it happening. I was also scheduled to meet another photographer (I'll talk about that in a minute) at basically the same time back in California City. Since the shuttle is really down to its last few mission the chance that we will see it gets less and less so after some convincing from Denise I drove over to my old stomping grounds and set out to make some photos. The shuttle comes down pretty darn quickly and the image above is my favorite select from the day.

I am not sure if I mentioned this but a fellow local photographer, Randy Smith, had tracked me down through my Model Mayhem link. I missed the meet and greet that he organized last week and we have been trying to find an opportunity to meet. The shuttle was the second time that I had to reschedule with him. Since he was in Cal City for the High School football game I met him over there after I was finished on the base. So we first just chatting and shared portfolios in the parking lot and I then followed him in there and did something that I haven't done for probably 19/20 years, I shot a high school football game! I really forgot how much I liked doing that. He has a small studio set up and is expanding to a 2000 sf location here soon. He has already schedule and photographed a handful of models and he is really pushing hard to expand his business. It was really a great opportunity to meet with him and to just share our joy for photography. I am really looking forward to shooting with him in the future and attended his meet and greets.

1 Comments:

At Saturday, 12 September, 2009, Blogger Brad said...

Wow! The shuttle landing! I'm glad that Denise talked you into shooting some pics. And really jealous that you got to watch it. The curse of the midwest, they avoid bringing space flight here at all costs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home